Traveling by air is exciting and fun,but often can be
expensive, especially in light of gas prices nowadays. I
often hear people talk about finding really cheap airfare
online, so I set out to see what I could find on the
Internet. Here are 14 tips to help you find cheap travel.
1. Purchase a package. Buy airplane tickets, hotel, and
car rental together and often you can save when comparing
2. Flying one way is great but also usually the most
expensive. You can save money by opting for connecting
3. Check neighboring cities. As an example, if you are
planning on flying into Orlando, FL, look for prices for
flights to Tampa instead. You might save a little on your
fare and still not drive too far out of your way.
4. As long as you are not flying out of the country, try
one of the smaller airlines and you will usually save on
the purchase price this way.
5. If you've waited for the last minute, go online to
the main website for the airlines and see if they have any
discounted prices available for last-minute flights.
Normally you will pay more at this time but occasionally
the flight will not be filled and you may find yourself a
6. Be patient and wait for an excellent price to come
up. But don't be too patient! If you see something great go
ahead and snap it up. Always have in mind what your
definition of a "great price" is so you'll be ready to grab
it at a moment's notice. You never know when those awesome
prices will show up.
7. You should try to be as flexible as possible with
your travel dates. Adjusting your dates by just one day can
result in a better fare.
8. Don't rely only on the online travel agencies. Also
check the airline's main site. Sometimes you can save money
this way because the agencies will often charge a fee when
you go through them. Also as an added benefit, if you have
any issues or problems, it's quicker and easier to correct
when dealing with a live person rather than a website.
Believe me, I speak from experience on this one!
9. You can find good prices at all different times but
mornings can sometimes be an excellent time to browse for
inexpensive airline tickets. And don't feel you have to
stay over on a Saturday in order to get a better price. In
the past this was thought to be helpful but not so much
10. Don't forget to sign up for frequent flyer miles if
you want cheap travel. It's quite
surprising how often people don't take advantage of this
perk. Even if you fly different airlines, sign up for each
airline's frequent flyer program. The miles add up faster
than you realize.
11. This idea won't always work but is worth a try. If
you are only wanting to fly one-way, check for round-trip
prices too because there are times when it is actually
cheaper to fly round-trip.
12. If you plan to fly on a holiday be sure to book your
fares far in advance. You can get great savings by booking
early but be sure of your itinerary because if you have to
cancel or change your travel dates you'll likely end up
forfeiting any savings you had made.
13. For cheap travel, make sure you
always book your flights at least 3 weeks in advance.
14. Consider traveling on the so-called red eye flights.
You can save a significant amount by flying overnight,
sometimes as much as 30%. You'll miss out on seeing the
scenery you might see during the day but you'll be more
likely to snooze your way through the flight and time will
go by faster.
Family vacation travel tips.