Gas prices are out of control! If you are looking
for ideas for
affordable family vacations, here are a few tips to
save money on gas during your vacation.
1. Turn off the air conditioner. Now of course if you
are traveling through Florida in August this is
impractical. But if it's a nice day or you're driving
during the evening, try switching off the A/C for a while
and enjoying the outside air. You will be pleasantly
surprised how much you notice going on around you with the
windows open. Try it! Using the A/C reduces fuel economy so
you can go longer between pit stops at the gas
2. If you have cruise control be sure to use it as this
will save gas. By the same token, don't forget to use the
overdrive also, which is another gas-saving hint. Most
3. Try reducing weight - not people but things! Check
out what is in your trunk and get rid of anything you don't
need that might be weighing you down.
4. Slow down. Driving faster actually increases
turbulence and fuel use.
5. Another gas tip for help on how to travel cheap: If
you are planning to remain stationary for more than a
minute (waiting for someone to run into the store, waiting
at a railroad track,etc), turn off the ignition.
Surprisingly this saves on fuel.
6. Keep your tires at their specified level of air. This
will improve your gas mileage.
7. Check Mapquest before leaving home and pick the best
route. Don't forget to print out the directions and bring
them along with you as you will waste tons of gas if you
get lost. And this is inevitable if you are in a strange
place. I try to anticipate where I might be planning to go
and print out all the directions. Bring along a local map
too in case you do get lost.
For cheap family travel, saving money
on fuel is a terrific way to get a head start on